Traditional silk screen printing is a process that has been used for thousands of years and still to this day it proves to be one of the most effective forms of printing. Screen printing is perfect for bold colours and designs. The process provides amazing colour accuracy and designs with sharp, clean lines. You can include up to 6 colours in the designs and best of all it is a very cost effective method for large orders.
Screen printing is quite a simple process, essentially ink is applied to through a stencil on a screen to create a print. The screen is a large rectangular frame that is covered with a fine mesh and coated in a light sensitive emulsion. This emulsion remains water soluble until it is exposed to light as such it binds together the image at the end of the printing process.
Each separate colour in the print design will be printed on transparent film and exposed onto a separate screen. This is so the colours can be layered to create the design, the ink will only pass through the exposed design (the part not covered by the stencil). In between the application of each colour a high temperature flash is used to harden the light sensitive emulsion. Once the print has been fully applied the product will run through a heat tunnel to cure and dry.
Here at Bpromo we offer the screen printing for all of our apparel, caps, hats and bags. Here are a couple of tips for creating a design that is well suited for screen printing:
- Choose an image with 6 colour or less
- Convert all images images into outlines
- Supply us with a vector image as they are completely scalable and transfer well to screen printing
- Specify that all colours are PMS spot colours for accuracy
- If choosing an image from our artwork library just make you choose one with a reasonably simple design and 6 colours or less
Care tips for your screen printed products:
- Cold machine wash on a delicates setting
- Wash inside out
- Air dry out in the shade (sunlight will fade your garment)
- Do not iron directly over the print, if you must iron turn your garment inside out
- Do not tumble dry